Volunteer Fridays On The FarmSpend a morning on the farm & support Lowell's thriving food system! REGISTER TODAY AND JOIN US
Thank you to all our volunteers who joined us on July 29!
Our next Volunteer Friday will be:
September 9 • 9am to 12pm
Mill City Grows’ Big Urban Farm
1001 Pawtucket Boulevard, Lowell
Commemorate Mill City Grows’ 10th Anniversary by joining us on our largest food production site in Lowell!
MCG’s Big Urban Farm (aka “Fowler”), is a lush, sprawling 4-acre production farm located in Lowell’s Pawtucketville neighborhood, growing an average of more than 30,000 pounds of produce every year for our community. Come spend a Friday morning or two on the farm alongside fellow volunteers and experience a rewarding, enriching day helping to GROW our city’s food system. All volunteers will receive an exclusive Mill City Grows water bottle and t-shirt to help you show off your local food support!
How will I help as a volunteer?
There are several farm tasks that volunteers will help with, including bed weeding, planting, harvesting our delicious produce, landscaping, and general labor. There may also be a construction project taking place on the farm that volunteers can assist with.
How do I prepare for my farm volunteer day?
Our MCG Farm Team team is excited to introduce you to this special space! It’s important to remember that our Big Farm is a working farm coexisting with nature, so there is a chance you will be exposed to bees, birds, ticks, bugs, and other 4-legged critters. Here is our check-list to help you prepare for a fun, safe morning:
- Face masks are always welcomed for your comfort, but they are optional while outdoors on the farm. We will not be enforcing a mask policy on site.
- Please wear comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty. Short or long sleeve t-shirts are recommended (no tank tops or beach wear). Be sure to dress for the weather, as our volunteer days take place rain or shine.
- Please wear comfortable closed-toe shoes. Hiking boots or high-top sneakers are good recommendations.
- Be sure to apply sun screen upon arrival or before leaving your home.
- We will have water and cups available on site, but please consider bringing your own reusable water bottle or bottled water.
Thank you for joining us as we celebrate 10 Years of Growing for Lowell!